Sunday, May 15, 2016

Post Travel Skin! Gross!

Since landing my dream gig as a clothing buyer for an independent boutique 5 years ago, I have spent an abnormal amount of time in the sky. Airports often equal delays, sleeping in places other than beds, eating like a broke college kid and usually being dehydrated. 4 or 5 years ago this would not have affected me. 

I would buckle for a sweet from Fat Witch Bakery.



I would trade in my clean Newfoundland air for that sweet, sweet, NYC smog.



Schwarma from 1 of 500 Halal trucks was eating well, and sleep, well. This city never sleeps! 


But then something weird happened at 27.  I would check in to my hotel after a long day buying for the shop and melt into the bed. I could sleep on a train station floor.  I had a mini freakout. What was happening to the girl who got through post secondary on 2 hours sleep, diet pepsi and wishes and dreams? I have tons of energy! I am a BOUNCY person...

Well, it turned out i'm still a bouncy person. Thank God. I just need to take a chill pill and go to sleep in my California king. Now I needed cushy. Big king sized beds. Good sheets. Frequent showers. All to maintain my bounce. This is all manageable, but time lines don't change, and the work is just as demanding. Something has to give to make these trips a success! Unfortunately, it's always my skin that suffers. I am fresh off the plane from a 5 day buying trip that included hotel changes, multiple layovers, delays, and not enough water drinking. Basically I came home feeling exhausted, fulfilled and about as cuddly as a geriatric crocodile. 

What? I'm still always so lovely, and glowy, and gorgeous you say? Well, let's talk about these little beauty buggers that help bring that bounce to the epidermis.

                                         

The first thing I have to do when I get through the door is shower. And it's not in and out. It's hot, long, and I sometimes fall asleep standing up. I tend to keep my make up light, to non existent when I travel. While I feel more glam wearing it, I cannot be that cruel to my skin in the NYC humid months. I certainly do not fly while wearing makeup. If you must, concealer and mascara and lip balm is where you should draw the line. Airplane air is so harsh on the skin, you want to let it breath. 

Garnier Micellar Water (Shopper's Drug Mart, $11.99). Glorified water in a bottle that deserves all the glory, and maybe a Hallelujah chorus. With one cotton pad this stuff takes anything and everything off in one sweep. I'm choosy about what goes on this skin. It's gentle, and does not cause breakouts. Even though I was makeup free, I repeated this process and managed to blacken two cotton pads. Yes, the air is that gross. Into the warm, warm shower I go. 

After shampoo I step out, and slather a thick layer of Canada's own Mask of Magnaminty from Lush Cosmetics ($13.95) all over my face. While my conditioner is setting, so does my mask. I thoroughly enjoy using this mask in the shower. The mint aroma adds a gorgeous feel to the shower. Scrub it off. Scrub off the dirt. Scrub off the city!

I finish up my shower and towel my hair. Post shower treatment is my favorite. I give my face the full order of facial care desert with fellow small business Tval's Rich and Dreamy ($20.00). This moisturizer takes it time to set in, but leaves the face soft and touchable with no gummy, sticky, after feel. I've just cleaned my face 89 times. I don't need sticky. 

Lastly, for the total body treatment I am in love with Victoria's Secret Coconut Milk Body Butter ($22). I lather that from head to toe, and curl up with a good book while Miss Victoria works her magic. My favourite compliment from my husband is when he rubs my arm and says "your skin's always so soft!". Go away, crocodile. He isn't talking to you! 

So that's what i've managed to improve when it comes to abusing the body when we travel. Pay more for the sweet bed, don't cake your face, rejuvenate your skin when you get home. Next on the to do list- up the water intake, and spend less money while travelling!

Yeah right. Just kidding about the money.

Interested in more of my travel adventures, beauty tips, and product reviews? Stay tuned. I'll be here every Friday and Sunday to help you out. After all, i'm more then just a clotheshorse.


Love and light, 

M-L x

No comments:

Post a Comment