Monday, May 30, 2016

InstaLove: Peeps Magazine



This Saturday past, inspired by a magazine haul video that I had recently watched on YouTube, I headed to Chapters on Kenmount Road with the goal of purchasing a magazine publication I had never read before. My mission was a success because I discovered Peeps Magazine and I love it so much that I thought I would share it with all of you!



What first drew me to Peeps was the cover, I know, I know, we were raised not to judge a book by it's cover but this is a magazine so it's ok. Simple yet eye-catching, this magazine just looked cool and its tagline, "Tracking cultural shifts around the world", instantly peaked my interest. I also liked that Peeps had a smaller format than that of a regular magazine and that it was printed on heavier paper so it felt substantial in my hand. I'm not going to lie, the fact that it was Issue 01 was attractive to me as well, because I liked the idea that I was discovering it before anyone else.

Indie magazines are really having a moment and Peeps founder, Greg Salmela, decided to get in while the trend is hot. Ten years ago Greg became interested in the practical value of anthropology in branding, communication and design. In his reading and investigation of anthropology, he discovered that there was a tremendous amount of fascinating knowledge that would never see the light of day outside of academic and professional circles. Greg was inspired to repackage the academic insight of social researchers as accessible narrative for the general public, and from that inspiration Peeps was born. Greg has largely self-funded the creation and printing of Issue 01 and is currently trying to crowd source funding to print Issue 02.  

Peeps is a publication that was designed and written with love which, as a reader, you can feel. If you're looking for something different from your usual magazine reading material, and if original stories about people and culture appeal to you, I highly recommend that you check out Peeps. 


Website: http://peepsforum.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PeepsForum
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peepsmagazine/

No comments:

Post a Comment