Saturday, January 15, 2011

Life in Color~


Hello and Happy Friday to all you lovely, lovely MC blog readers! I am pretty pumped to start contributing to the store's blog! Blogging in this business makes an incredible amount of sense. Every single day I work with clothing, and every single day I work with people. The two do not always get along. Dressing for some people is like a 6th sense. For others, they really have to work...and that's fine! You can have a lot of fun figuring out exactly what does and doesn't work for you when it comes to every element of clothing- color, fit, fabrics, patterns, and the oodles of other design elements. Embrace the faux pas! 

I have decided to use my blog time to reach every eye who wants (or needs!) a response to some of the everyday questions, dilemmas, successes, and failures that we face every single day here at MC. SO, here goes my first crack at 'er...i'll try and keep it short and sweet (like Chelsey baha. Sorry).

Today's thoughts are on matching. What does it mean when we say "that doesn't match" ? Think about it. While everybody has their own preferences and styles, it is a fun fact that if you're wearing a bright pink top- you don't HAVE to wear a plain black or brown bottoms or some other (BORING..ha) neutral. 

My friends always give me a hard time because "i studied color theory". However, it's true! Putting color on color can indeed induce not so pleasant 80's flashbacks, but it can also achieve that "Oh I just threw it on" look that most of us crave. To achieve perfection and avoid crazy town, try and keep colors in the same families. If you're feeling like you're up for a challenge, look for a contrasting color for an accent. YES you can incorporate another color as an accent...without involving any black dress pants! Amazing. 

I understand this can be a lot to absorb. To demonstrate this style concept, here's my mannequin, we will call her Kate. First pic, plain dress in navy and forest green. Another pic with an aqua cardy (same family as the green and navy). The middle picture demonstrates using accents colors- the yellow belt? It just works.




So that's today's thought. Hopefully I have inspired the need to add more color to your life. I promise you'll be happy and maybe even a little dance-y. 

I'm gonna go rock out to Florence and the Machine. You go have a fabulous weekend, and remember- Style is in you, not on you.

Much love, 
ML xx

1 comment:

  1. Hello MC! Just wanted to let you know that your blog has been selected for the Blog of the Week this week on the NL BlogRoll. Perhaps it'll help find you some additional readers! Love how this blog has developed over the years. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete